Family was ordained by God who is the originator of marriage. The root word for family originally meant “service.”
When I serve you:
- I contribute to you
- I provide for you
- I devote myself to you
Today, Jon and I are teaching on Relationships: Gender Differences. What every woman wants a man to know and what every man needs a woman to know… Making It Work!
Genesis 2:21-25, “And the Lord God caused a deep sleep to fall upon Adam and he slept: and he took one of his ribs, and closed up the flesh instead thereof; And the rib, which the Lord God had taken from man, made he a woman, and brought her unto the man. And Adam said, This is now bone of my bones, and flesh of my flesh: she shall be called Woman, because she was taken out of Man. Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh. And they were both naked, the man and his wife, and were not ashamed.”
Leave means, “To tear away, to pull apart.” Cleave means, “To adhere, to weld.”
God first appeared on the scene of human history in the role of a matchmaker… What a profound & exciting revelation/
Genesis 2:18, “And the Lord God said, It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him an help meet for him.”
Help means, “To surround; to protect or aid.” Meet means, “To front; part opposite, specifically a counterpart.” It’s from the root = stand boldly out, opposite.”
Why did God create a counterpart to protect or aid?
-It is not good to be ALONE… “Separation or apart”
From the beginning the Bible reveals 7 principles about marriage, all of which still apply today:
- God Himself initiated marriage at the beginning of human history. Adam had no part in planning it. Without divine revelation, man cannot understand it, much less make it a part of his experience.
- The decision that man was to marry proceeded from God, not from the man.
- God knew the kind of helper that the man needed. The man did not
- God prepared the woman for the man
- God presented the woman to the man. The man did not have to go in search for her
- God ordained the nature of their life together. It’s end purpose was unity
- Jesus upheld God’s original plan of marriage as binding on all who would become his disciples. It is still in force today.
No man is complete by himself. Every man needs companionship.